A neurosurgeon is a doctor who practices neurosurgery and provides diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of nervous system problems –both peripheral and central nervous systems. They provide both surgical and nonsurgical treatments for conditions affecting the structure that support your nervous systems like the skull, spinal discs, vertebrae, blood vessels, protective membranes, and soft tissues.
Neurosurgeons recommend surgery only when they know that nonsurgical treatments have failed to provide you adequate relief.
Let’s talk about some common types of surgery neurosurgeons perform and where you can go in Lone Tree, CO, to get yourself evaluated for your nervous and musculoskeletal system problems.
Commonly Performed Surgeries on the Nervous System
Surgeries can be of many types depending on the structure or supporting tissue of the nervous system that is affected. The most common types of surgeries performed by neurosurgeons include:
The most common surgeries performed on the brain include:
- This type of surgery removes a small piece of the skull to access the brain. A craniotomy is performed to remove abnormal tissue, brain tumor, blood, or blood clots from the brain to eliminate the pressure on the brain after an injury or stroke. Your neurosurgeon may also perform a craniotomy to repair a fractured skull or brain aneurysm and treat certain other brain conditions.
Once the goal is achieved, let’s say brain clot removal, the surgeon puts back the piece of skull in place.
- Shunt Insertion. This surgery is also performed on the brain to relieve any pressure built in the brain. Your neurosurgeon surgically inserts a shunt into your brain, which allows the excess fluid buildup causing pressure to be released. Typically, fluid buildup in the brain occurs when a blockage prevents fluid from flowing properly or when the blood vessels aren’t working properly.
Spine surgery can be done for any part of the spine but is most commonly performed on the cervical and lumber spine. Cervical spine surgery is mainly done to treat the spinal instability and impingement of the spinal cord. While lumber spine surgery is mainly done to treat the cause of lower back pain. Commonly performed surgeries on the spine include
- Diskectomy. Partial or complete removal of slipped or herniated disc of the spine
- Laminectomy. Removal of the small piece of the lamina (back part) of the vertebrae
- Spinal fusion. Fusion of two vertebrae to eliminate motion between them
- Spine stabilization and reconstruction. Correction of spinal instability and deformity
Peripheral Nerve Surgery
A neurosurgeon can also perform surgeries on peripheral nerves. Type of peripheral nerve surgeries your neurosurgeon may perform include:
- Carpal tunnel release surgery
- Ulnar nerve release surgery
- Vagus nerve release surgery
Neurosurgery in Lone Tree, CO
If you think you have a problem with any part of your nervous system, get yourself evaluated by exceptional neurosurgeons at Front Range Spine and Neurosurgery. Our highly skilled and experienced neurosurgeons offer various therapeutic, surgical, and innovative neurological procedures and services to help you achieve the best possible outcomes.
To know more, call our friendly staff today at (303) 790-1800 or use our easy-to-use online form to request an appointment today.
We look forward to serving you!