A spinal compression fracture can be painful, and it can make certain movements difficult as the bone fragments rub together. A kyphoplasty procedure can help to stabilize the fractured vertebra, relieve painful symptoms, and restore mobility to the spine and back.
What Is a Kyphoplasty?
A kyphoplasty is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that is used to treat spinal compression fractures which often result from a condition such as osteoporosis. This is how a kyphoplasty works:
- A needle is inserted into the damaged vertebra.
- The surgeon then inserts a tiny balloon into the fractured vertebra and inflates the balloon to create a cavity.
- The balloon is deflated and removed.
- Special medical-grade cement is inserted into the cavity to restore the vertebra to its proper height and shape.
- The cement hardens in around 10 minutes.
The procedure is performed on an outpatient basis. It only takes about an hour for each vertebra involved.
Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
Many spinal surgeries, including kyphoplasty surgery, can now be carried out as a minimally invasive surgical procedure. Minimally invasive surgery uses highly advanced technology to treat a variety of spinal conditions and other health issues.
This special technique harnesses specialized equipment and tiny instruments that are small enough to pass through buttonhole-size incisions. It is often performed using an endoscope, which provides light and magnification during the procedure and enables real-time images to be transmitted onto a screen in the operating room to guide the surgery.
There are many benefits of minimally invasive spinal surgery as compared to traditional open surgery, including:
- Less blood loss during the operation
- Less trauma to nearby healthy tissues
- Reduced risk of infection
- Fewer complications
- Less anesthetic
- Reduced post-operative pain
- Smaller scarring
- Shorter recovery period
What Can a Kyphoplasty Do for Me?
A kyphoplasty procedure can help to prevent further collapse of the fractured vertebra, helping to restore normal spinal alignment and correct deformity. Additional benefits can include:
- Significant reduction or elimination of back pain
- Restored vertebral body height
- Improved mobility and function
Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery in Colorado
Here at Front Range Spine and Neurosurgery, our specialist surgeons diagnose and treat many different spinal and neurological conditions. We regularly perform minimally invasive spinal surgery, including kyphoplasty and spinal disc surgery, and we also perform brain surgery.
If you would like to find out more about the services and treatments we offer, contact our team today by calling us at (303) 790-1800 or use our simple online form to request an appointment now. We have three convenient locations to serve you in Lone Tree, Colorado Springs, and Aurora, and we look forward to serving you.